In October of 1930, a small committee was created by the Women's Institute with plans for establishing a public library in Schomberg. Led by Miss Grace Amey and Mrs. C. Marchant, a small library was created in Miss Amey's home on Main Street. As the librarian, Miss Amey received $40 per year, served 40 patrons and looked after 173 books (1931 statistics).
Five years later the library moved to a room above the bank which it used free of charge. The library again changed location in 1946, moving with the Women's Institute to the clubhouse in the Schomberg Community Hall (then called Market Hall). The library soon outgrew this room, thus, when the Community Hall was renovated and the Arena built, the Library Board approached the Hall Board with a proposition. The Hall Board granted permission to build an addition to the hall on the north side (the present day kitchen), to be used by the library so long as it was self-sustaining and to become part of the hall should the library ever leave.
On July 12, 1962, approximately 175 letters were sent to the community asking for financial aid; the result was many generous gifts of materials, money and labour. Grants were also given from the Lion's Club, Women's Institute and the village, enabling a contract to be given to Jack Bentley on August 1, 1962. The building was completed on March 1, 1963 and officially opened on April 21, 1963.
The library was run by the Women's Institute until 1970 when it became part of the King Township Public Library system. By 1978, the library had again outgrown its location. In June of that year the community was thrilled to hear than Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Osin had offered to donate $165,000 towards the construction of a new library. The other $90,000 came from a Wintario grant. On September 25, 1978, Mr. Osin and designer Brian Busat unveiled the plans for the new 3,600 square foot library. Construction began in June 1979 and finished that October. On November 15, 1979 the Schomberg Library - Len Osin Memorial was officially opened by Mayor Margaret Britnell and Library Board Chairman Alfred Foster. The following weekend, the First Schomberg Scouts helped move the books into the new building.
From 1979 to 1980, the library ran a "Be a Book Buyer" campaign, raising over $13,000 for newbooks and resources. Almost a decade later, in 1987, the township approved a computer system for King Township Libraries.